We address some of the fundamentals of forest tree genetics (growth, resistance, flushing and bud set). In this respect we collaborate with biologists from all over the world in order to detect genes or gene combinations which are responsible for characteristic traits in large “gene libraries”. A major component of our work is DNA research which is undertaken in a laboratory equipped with the most recent technology.
Priority Areas of Work
- Examination of hypotheses based on biological interactions such as metabolic activity of individual genes, analogies to model organisms (e.g. poplar) and different frequencies of determined gene variants in selected progenies or natural populations.
- Contributions to early testing and field research to develop applications which are adopted for the study of natural distribution and transfer of different gene variants (population genetics), for the genetic diversity conservation, for comparison with cultivation trials (provenance research), and for the elaboration of management recommendations and legal regulations (forest reproductive material).
- Development, adaptation and validation of new methods at the molecular genetic level in organisms living in the forest ecosystem.
- Chloroplast PCR primer genome database
- Organisation of the DNA laboratory
- Clone and variety trials
- Provide expert opinions
Advisory Services and other Services
We offer the following moleculargenetic analysis of forest plants:
- Clone identification of poplar varieties
- Clone distinction in vegetatively propagated forest plants
- Creation of DNA patterns (“genetic fingerprints”) of forest plants
- Investigations of cherry varieties
Chloroplast DNA PCR Primer Database